My brother flew up from Arizona in mid-April to see my new baby girl and help me with the house. We framed the upstairs and set the remainder of the steel I-beams which was no small feat. In early May I hired a boom-truck to set my 46′ glulam beam that I had sanded down to a nice finish. The day after setting this massive ridge beam I moved to Sheep Mountain for the flying season.
I did not have any more money to proceed, and I was flying non-stop, so … I decided to wait until I could afford to put the roof on. After a couple of months the rain had done so much water damage to the structure that I decided to proceed at all costs and purchased engineered parallel cord trusses to keep the progress moving forward.
Then, I hired a team to install the structure because I was too busy flying to think about it. They did an awesome job, and in just 3 days I had a roof covered with that expensive Dupont tar-paper replacement that is wind proof…. well, almost wind-proof. The airflow in late September managed to free a couple of pieces, but, it was blowing 80 mph. Several trees blew over and 3 of them were touching the corner of the house but no damage was done…near miss.
Today we started roofing at 8 am. A couple of buddies came over and we hit it as hard as possible. My shoulders are a little sore from packing shingles but I think we did pretty good. I put in 12.5 hours and we got up most of the drip edge, picked up and packed most of the bundles, and tacked down 1/3 of the roof. I’m as happy as a clam at high tide because half my roof is water proof. building a house is a slow process but I try not to think about it :o) I am so grateful for friends who are willing to sacrifice a day and then even bring the pizza for lunch. I am blessed.
For photos of the full history of this project go here.