These guys spent several days up near Marcus Baker last week. The weather did not cooperate and they spent the vast majority of their 4 days on the mountain waiting out a storm in their tent. Mike dropped them off with the Cessna 185 as the winds were gradually increasing from 30 knots. You can see the snow drift formed by the disruption of air as it flowed around their camp at hurricane force dumping a couple of feet of fresh snow in the process. In-spite of the nasty weather these guys had an awesome attitude, and are excited for more. They said …
“…I wish I could write you something about our trip, but most of it would consist of the winning words of 20 questions, and which songs we listened to the most on our ipods. I’ll almost definitely be back next year, it was an awesome first fly-in ski trip for me. I’ve done a lot of fly-in hunting and fishing stuff, as well as a lot of heli time for work, but a ski-landing glacier trip was a first. Definitely a different kind of trip than one I’ve done before, gotta go with the flow and have about 20 back up plans!”
I share what he wrote because it is so true. The Alaskan wilderness demands lots of back-up plans because conditions are so variable. Sat-phones, and GPS’s make us believe that we have begun to tame the wilderness, but if the truth was known, it has only made us complacent. These mountains aren’t fooling when they dish out lousy weather, and that is why I consider it such a privilege to experience them on a daily basis and why I want to share it with you … It’s totally untamed.
We gets lots of good weather too, but when it storms, it storms good.
The photos shared above (with out my water mark) were taken by Cullan Lester.